Giving back has inspired hundreds of survivors to begin their healing.
We have chosen our role in our community and it is one of peace, healing, education, awareness, safety and change. We urge you today to ponder on what it is you believe your role is within your community and then spring into action towards it! You CAN make a difference in someone’s life and B.T.S survivors are the proof.
MUST WATCH UNTIL THE END!
Volunteer Role Descriptions:
Executive Board Member: The responsibility of our Board is to ensure that the mission, vision, and values of our organization are clear, focused, continually progressing, and constantly upholding its integrity. We heavily rely on the support and efforts of our distinguished board members to uphold an involved leadership position throughout their tenure. Each board member is required to be financially committed to our mission with a minimum board “give or get” of $2,000 each calendar year. Our board conducts monthly conference calls to maintain financial obligations, legal matters, and also to discuss the state of the organization. We expect all board members to be present and active during each call. Each board member is required to actively serve on 1 of our 3 committees and commit to serving on our board for a minimum of two years. All prospective board members must serve on a committee for a minimum of 60-90 days prior to being vetted to our board. Apply here.
Survivor Helpline Advocate: The responsibilities of the Survivor Helpline is to commit to answering calls during normal business hours 1-day per week. Our staff is scheduled one day per week to accommodate our volunteer survivors. Advocate must be a survivor, comfortable talking with new people, cannot be in an unhealthy relationship, and must uphold the values and principles of BTSADV.
Social Media Admins: Currently looking to fill a few more positions on our social media team to include: 1 Instagram administrator to commit to posting 2x per day, 2x per week. 2 Facebook staff – must be completely versed with scheduling posts, post optimization, fan pages, messenger, Google Sheets, embedding videos, and creating original content through BTS. We prefer to take on team members who are versed in the social media world and can post high quality content to increase brand awareness and website traffic.
On-site Event Volunteer Volunteer Responsibilities: On-site volunteers are available on a need basis which would require a variety of different on-site tasks to include: greeting, set-up and breakdown, as well as any and all job assignments given by the event coordinator. These events are primarily in San Diego and do happen throughout the country on a spontaneous basis. Currently seeking volunteers in or around San Diego or Colorado Springs.
Community Engagement Director: This role is very important cookie within our volunteer team. The Community Engagement director has two main responsibilities: 1) Locating and booking speaking engagements for the Managing Advocate Director as well as locating local events in the community and nationally that the Managing Advocate Director should attend. This position is compensated based on commission for every paid speaking engagement s/he books. Along with booking engagements, this volunteer will also be responsible for tracking every speaking opportunity (both paid and unpaid) and measuring the impact through 1/1/17-12/31/17.
Become a Mentor for a Survivor of Domestic Violence:
Mentoring survivors is not the same as counseling. Our prerequisites to mentor a survivor require that:
- you are a citizen of the United States or Canada, and
- you are a survivor of domestic violence or have previously worked with survivors and
- you are as sure as possible that you are not currently experiencing an abusive relationship, and
- you are not currently experiencing substance abuse issues, and
- you have excellent written and oral communication skills or are at the very least confident that you can improve them quickly.
- you have a professional background in leadership, finances, communication, or business. We are looking for mentors who can provide real life skills to our clients for a minimum of 6 months. The purpose of these skills will assist our clients in acclimating themselves back into society and empowering survivors to reach their financial success.
- A mentor primarily leads by example; therefore, to be a great mentor, you must be willing to share your successes and mistakes with other survivors of domestic violence and abuse. (If you are not an open person, then mentoring may not be for you.
Event Planner for Monthly “Empowered Voices” events: Empowered Voices is a newly revamped program of Break the Silence, formerly known as Women Empowerment Groups. This fun and exciting program will be hosted once a month at various pop-up locations throughout San Diego County and eventually across the country. This role would put together meet-ups that would consist of networking plus a workshop hosted by a new survivor speaker each month. The purpose of this program is to bring survivors of domestic violence and the community together for a “empowered” workshop.
Program Assistant: We value our programs and the service we provide to our network. We are seeking a program assistant to work with each of our programs to ensure the quality of our programs are running efficiently. This role is very involved and requires a minimum of 10/hours per week. Many of the tasks associated with this role will include processing donation requests applications, sending tax write-off letters, drafting professional emails, follow-ups, and recruiting speakers. This individual must be located in San Diego.
Managing Director: Position works under the direct of the Volunteer Coordinator and Executive Assistant to ensure all volunteers are fully trained and are thoroughly engaged during their tenure with Break the Silence against Domestic Violence. The Managing Director is responsible for being the ‘conductor’ to upkeep the teams enthusiasm and drive measurable results within each leadership committee and team.
Marketing Committee: Marketing is a very involved role within BTS because this role upholds and will be responsible for creating strategic plans to grow the organization. This role is responsible for annual marketing campaigns, fundraising initiatives, event promotions, and developing the overall brand of the organization. This position must have a background and experience in Marketing. Volunteers also must be proactive, self-driven, and must have strong leadership skills. 5-10/hour per week requirement.
- Social media marketing: Social media champions of change who have a very knowledgeable background in social media marketing to create, plan, and execute social media contests, campaigns, as well as creating strategies to grow our social media reach.
- Print marketing: Bringing it back to basics. Seeking creative leader who is highly skilled in developing print materials, stationary, and graphics to properly advertise Break the Silence against Domestic Violence.
- Recruiting Runners: Highly enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the Angel Run to recruit runners for the 2017 Angel Run.
- Membership Committee: Responsible for recruiting monthly donor warriors to join our monthly giving campaign.
Paid Grant Writer: We are seeking 2-3 experienced Grant Writers who can research and write professional quality grants to assist in the funding of Break the Silence against Domestic Violence. Compensation available. Grant Writers should also be able to follow the following requirements:
- Program Development using a Logic Model
- Proposal Writing for Foundation and Corporate Grants including the Budget and Budget Narrative
- Prepare Applications for Federal, State, and Local Government Grants including the Budget and Budget Narrative
- Review a Proposal, Application, Narrative, or Budget that we may have already written
- Prepare a Business Plan (Standard or Investor Quality)
- Analysis of Organization for Grant Competitive Qualities
MUST WATCH UNTIL THE END!
Our Volunteer Coordinator will be in touch with you in at least a week. If you have further questions, please contact Amber Holt at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are located in San Diego and would to volunteer at one of our upcoming events please contact Cassi Cain at Cassi@breakthesilencedv.org