BTS is battling domestic violence before it begins. On an annual basis, our educators and advocates will impact the lives of more than 200,000 high school students who are at the greatest risk of engaging in unhealthy intimate partner relationships.
Girls and young women between the ages of 16 and 24 experience the highest rate of partner violence – almost triple the national average. Violent behavior typically begins between the ages of 12 and 18. The severity of partner violence is often greater in cases where the pattern was established in adolescence. Only 33% of teens who were in a violent relationship ever told anyone about the abuse.
Our presentations also provide education for past, present and unidentified abusers to become more familiarized and educated about unhealthy and abusive relationships. Through our platform, men and women will now have the ability to test their behavioral patterns and gain valuable tips on how to break the cycle. We plan to decrease the stigma surrounding the silence of abuse permeating in homes, schools and workplaces nationwide by encouraging communities to break the silence against domestic violence. Furthermore, our goal is to unite people worldwide to increase awareness about domestic violence, resources and providing community support.
- Put domestic violence survivor – advocates in classrooms across the country to engage and educate young people.
- Translate the painful experiences of survivors into a life-saving message: “You don’t have to live like I did.”
- Help students understand the following: they are in the highest risk age range of 16-24; domestic violence is a matter of life and death; and they have an opportunity now to make wise choices and avoid a life of domestic violence.
- Provide an opportunity for students to experience a powerful peer-to-peer conversation, rather than a potentially less effective adult instructor-to-student model.
- Equip students to make good decisions and to understand how they can influence their peers to do the same.
- Help break the devastating cycle and ripple effect of domestic violence.
Break the Silence against Domestic Violence oversees the nations premiere Speakers Bureau for educators whom specialize in domestic violence, teen dating violence, healthy relationships, empowerment, forgiveness, the power to choose, and much more.